09 Chinese 1
Teacher in Charge: Ms E. Liu
Year 9 Chinese language courses are structured in two semesters of approximately 6 months each. There are three periods of class work a week for 17-18 weeks. This semester course provides a solid basis of knowledge upon which to build future years of Chinese studies through Year 10 – Year 13, Level 3 and Scholarship, as well as having opportunities to participate in trips in future years.
Aims and goals: during the semester, pupils are encouraged to communicate in Chinese during each class as well as learning the basics of vocabulary and grammar which relate to the topics below.
- Learning about China and Chinese culture
- Introductory Chinese Pronunciation - PinYin
- Introductory Chinese characters - Hanzi
- Greeting, introducing
- Saying nationality
- Asking for and giving the day and date, using numbers from 1 to 100
- Saying age and birthday
- Asking who someone is, giving basic personal details about others, asking what something is and replying, ask how someone is and replying, taking leave
- Saying what languages you speak and which country or city you are from
- Talking about your family and pets.
- Talking about leisure activities and expressing likes and dislikes
- Learning basic verb structures and understanding how they work
Outcomes: The main wish for all our pupils is that they feel accomplished in using what they have learnt. To do this we have 2 main assessments but the majority of our learning is shown through conversation activities, using scripted dialogue or informal unscripted videoing of conversations about the chosen topics. Other activities include formative games such as singing songs, bingo, cards, board games plus cultural events such as making dumplings in class and making lanterns, doing paper-cuts, calligraphy and watching two Chinese films and researching and presenting a mini-assignment of their choice, about an aspect of Chinese culture, animals, food, technology or landmarks and etc.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
9CH1 - Supplementary costs: Approx $15
Costs include annual subscription to Education Perfect and a workbook
Please note: Education Perfect is an interactive vocabulary website based on NCEA requirements, which is an excellent resource for vocabulary learning.