Teacher in Charge: Helen Selaries
Year 9 French language courses are structured in two semesters of approximately 6 months each. There are three periods of class work a week for 17-18 weeks.
Aims and goals: during the semester, pupils are encouraged to communicate in French during each class as well as learning the basics of vocabulary and grammar which relate to the topics below. This semester course provides a solid basis of knowledge upon which to build future years of French studies through Year 10 – Year 13, Level 3 and Scholarship, as well as having opportunities to host French students and participate in trips in future years.
1. Greeting, introducing, saying nationality and spelling names
2. Asking who someone is, giving basic personal details about others, asking what something is and replying, ask how someone is and replying, taking leave
3. Saying what languages you speak and which country or city you are from, expressing agreement/disagreement in evaluating everyday activities
4. Asking for and giving the day and date, using numbers from 1 to 100
5. Talking about your family and pets.
6. Talking about leisure activities and expressing likes and dislikes
7. Learning basic verb structures and understanding how they work
8. Learning about French culture
Outcomes: The main wish for all our pupils is that they feel accomplished in using what they have learnt. To do this we have 2 main assessments but the majority of our learning is shown through conversation activities, using scripted dialogue or informal unscripted videoing of conversations about the chosen topics. Other activities include formative games such as bingo, cards, board games plus cultural events such as watching crêpes being made in class and of course having to ask for a crêpe of the chosen flavour, having a French breakfast and watching two French films and researching and presenting a mini-assignment of their choice, about an aspect of French culture, technology or landmarks.
*9FR1* - Supplementary costs: Approx $15
Cost includes annual subscription to Education Perfect and workbook
Please note: Education Perfect is an interactive vocabulary website based on NCEA requirements, which is an excellent resource for vocabulary learning.