Understanding NCEA courses
- Each course contains several Achievement Standards, Unit Standards or a combination of both.
- Each standard (like a topic), is worth a number of ‘credits’ which relates to how much work is needed to complete the standard.
- Achievement Standards (AS) can be achieved, achieved with merit and achieved with excellence.
- Students will receive a description from their teacher at the beginning of each standard of what is required to gain an excellence, merit or achieved result.
Internal and external assessment
- Most courses have a combination of internally and externally assessed standards.
- Achievement Standards can be assessed internally (within school) or externally (an exam at the end of the year, or a portfolio of work which is sent away to be marked).
- Unit Standards (US) are assessed as achieved or not achieved and are always internally assessed.